Tuesday, November 30, 2010

De-titled


This one used to have a horrible title.  I kept reading the title in my file and I kept avoiding it.  Giving it a shot (I thought the situation similar enough to now to fit), but I won't include the previous title.  I do remember this time, this hilariously drunk time.  Now I hardly think about it and I'm hoping it's a pattern I'll be able to repeat.  Also, I think I thought of Heaven as some sort of once-nice company, a mom-and-pop deal that got taken over by a bunch of power-hungry Reaganauts.

 

Christ addicts purified in one
translation into the floating heaven clouds
like a group of lost cattle
eating the pagan farmer’s grass.
they believe that lightning bolts
are some old man’s way of disapproval.

they never saw a lightning bolt come
down for the sins they committed
in back alleys with women loose
and old with oil rag faces and lumpy
clay thighs and worn false smiles
and no hope of ever seeing their kids
maybe someday write a masterpiece,
because children born in the middle of
hot sex sweat and discarded semen
will never be able to live the right way
to breathe life into a hollow form
and make it dance with the beauty
of intelligent design.

the old boys club in heaven has a sign
above the door written in a dead language.
the saint with the keys reads it and hopes
that maybe the lost who found the
doorway will take to heart the message,
let it sift into their grainy sepia thoughts
so they will finally realize that they were
wrong, but lucky.

but Kensey, linguistics lady, it is a dead
language, right?
I was wrong and lucky, stumbling nervous
next to you as we talked colors and books
and I loaned you one from my shelf.
flash forward to final day
when I answered the door soaked
in an evening of light brown beer.
you handed over the book—
Maybe I will see you again, but you said
definitely after the stumble of words.
I got your message, but the sad sack
sect of bald-head business men
(they deal with the commodity of soul)
did not hear the immortal dead saint
for his words and instead enjoyed
the dense white fog scenery and admired
the gate for its finery and not for what
it represented.

Christ, they said, and patted each other
on their business suit backs.
I apologized for scaring you off, but I think
it was Hemingway and not the beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment